View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 07:59 AM   #3
redpajama
Registered Users
seller

Re: fussy baby poop and nipple issues long

That really does sound like food allergies to me. My second child had blood and mucus in her stools (also, horrible eczema on her face/body) and my doctor was really dismissive of my suspicion that it was food-allergy related and sent us, instead, to a dermatologist (to treat the skin issues). We ended up sort of accepting this as "normal for her," but we could never quite get rid of the eczema, even with steroid creams, and she would have HORRIBLE diaper rashes (that, of course, my mother was SURE were caused by our cloth diapers).

When she started solids, it was obvious that she had a dairy allergy--if she fed herself yogurt, for example, it would leave a raised rash wherever it touched her skin (around her mouth, or if she dripped it onto her belly or got it on her fingers). This was around 12 months. At 16 months, she took a bite of a cashew (I took it away from her because I was worried about her choking on it--wasn't thinking allergies at all) and had an anaphylactic reaction to it. As a result, we had her allergy tested at about 2 years, and learned that she was allergic to cashews and pistachios. I mentioned the eczema (which, by then, would wake her up in the night because it itched so much) and the allergist tested her for dairy and egg, which both came back positive (but especially egg--she had mostly outgrown the dairy allergy). As soon as we had eliminated both for 2 weeks, her eczema had entirely cleared up.

She's almost 5 now, and we've re-tested her (at 4) and after an oral challenge at the doctor's office, she can eat egg now, so we only have to avoid nuts.

Anyway, I definitely think it's worth being diligent about eliminating dairy (and if that doesn't do the trick, try egg and then soy). If she *is* allergic, it doesn't mean she'll always be allergic--but you could save yourself (and her) a lot of trouble by catching it early.

Good luck!