View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #26
Galatea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Circumcision has profoundly affected every member of my family...

The thing about intactivists' "intensity" is that once you get it, once you see what circumcision really is, it is IMPOSSIBLE to think, "Oh, it's just another of a million choices you have to make for a baby." I spent most of my life thinking that circumcision was normal and necessary. Then I spent a few months thinking that either was a fine decision, because there were so many conflicting opinions. Then one night, it came to me: he was going to be born with a foreskin, so god or nature thought it needed to be there, and it wasn't my body, and it wasn't my choice. That was when I told dh no way, no how, divorce me. Even still, it took me longer to get so passionate. Every human being has a right to his or her whole body. Period.

As for car seat evangelism, I REALLY do not get why people get offended by this. We turned ds1 and ds2 forward at one year because we didn't know any better. When we learned that ERFing was safer, we kept dd and ds3 RFing for much longer. There was no drama, no "feeling attacked" by car seat evangelists. I was just happy that I learned how my kids could be even safer in the car. I suspect that people that get offended by this are insecure. Having my kids front-facing at age 1 didn't mean I was a bad mom - it just meant I didn't know. There was no shame in it - just always trying to learn and grow and do our best. Letting ego get in the way of doing what's right by a child is silly.

Ds1 2004 ~ Ds2 2005 ~ Dd 2008 ~ Ds3 2010 ~ #5 Dec. 2014
Why you shouldn't circumcise your son