MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Circ'ing a 4 month old - pros/cons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama.timms View Post
I'm going to talk to DH tonight about waiting until he's older. I know DH wants it done now... he thinks it will hurt worse, the older he gets. But the points made about pain management are great ones!

I just wish we had had it done at birth. I wish the hospital hadn't changed their policy, about allowing parents to stay with their babies during the procedure. But wishful thinking is useless in this case, I suppose.

I'm also going to see a plastic surgeon for opinions. We've seen a urologist, but I know circumcision isn't something he does often so I'm worried about that. I completely trust our pediatrician to do it... he's done them many times. He won't do it until 6 months after birth, so if we decide to wait until after 12 months, he's an option.
It will be very painful no matter how old he is. Your DS has all of the same nerves as your DH. I understand that he feels very strongly about this issue.

I am not religious personally so I am curious about his convictions. I read/hear about this often. I understood that in Christianity, Islam, and Judaism man was created by God in his image. I understand that Jewish and Muslim people circ for religious reasons as well. I am truly curious why and where the religious conviction comes from? I would love to understand better.

I understand VERY well what a challenge this can be in a marriage. When we became pregnant w/ DS I was very adament about leaving him intact. It did put a strain on our relationship. Now 8 years later I am very glad that I stood my ground. DH has even come to me and thanked me for pushing the issue.

Also, there is a Mama floating around on DS that had a VERY traumatic experience with her DS being circ'd for religious reasons. She may pop in? I know she had a blog post about it but I can't find it. Maybe she would have some insight on the religious aspect.