View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
nursing strike? weaning? offer sippy?

So, I'm not sure what DS is doing but he's going longer between nursings, which is really fine with me. I do love nursing him but he's been an extremely attached baby. We've been co-sleeping but this last week I finally started to let DH give ds a bottle before bed (formula). He's starting to sleep better so I am happy of that! I know I'm getting more sleep by co-sleeping than if I didn't co-sleep but after 8 months I'm ready to not be co-sleeping anymore.

He's LOVING solid foods. I mean, this kid can EAT! Last night at dinner he ate at least one scrambled egg (no family history of problems), and one container of yobaby yogurt! He'll eat a whole packet of oatmeal at breakfast, lunch he'll eat a whole cup of peaches or oranges, whatever I give him.

Yesterday while busy at church, he ACTUALLY went into the nursery and stayed HAPPY!!! I ended up going to get him to nurse him as I realized it had been almost 5 hours since I had nursed him last. When I went to get him, he didn't even seem hungry, although he did happily nurse.

I was planning on following the don't offer don't refuse once we hit a year, but it almost seems like he's leading me that way now. I'm okay with that. I do love nursing him, but I'm also ready to have my body back for a bit. We're still open to a 4th down the road, so it will be nice to have a year or so before we possibly TTC again.

So, if he is sort of weaning, then should I offer a sippy with formula or just move on to whole milk since we have no family history of dairy issues?

I'm traveling this week to visit family for the holidays and I'll be gone for 3 weeks. It's nice to not deal with bottles on the plane so I didn't want him to need bottles before then. The bottle before bed is fine, but during the day, how do I make sure he gets enough from a sippy? I have one I've given him with water during meals but he just bangs it on the high chair tray. How often should I offer to nurse?

He doesn't nurse before naps much. Well, he does but wakes up when I put him down, so I'll let him fuss some but if he escalates, I get him and put him in my wrap and he'll go to sleep there without nursing.

Part of my motivation now is while visiting family, my inlaws are happy to watch my kids so I can get some kid-free shopping done. I figured I was going to have to take the baby but now with the prospect of some freedom, I'm happy to follow his lead.

Originally, I had planned to nurse 2 years, but for whatever reason I'm just ready to be done. It's been a wonderful experience and I'm so happy with how things have gone, MUCH better than my first 2. I've already nursed him longer than my first 2 combined.

So, I must say, I fully support and would even encourage extended BF, but I just can't do it. I think it's awesome for the mamas who do.

So, I guess I maybe should have put this under weaning support, but this section seems to get more traffic.

Anyway, any tips or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks mamas!!