Old 12-28-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
HookedByCarolyn
Registered Users
Formerly: shaneNspencersmommy
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Child with VSD?

My daughter was born with an ASD. Atrial Septal Defect. Which is also a hole in the heart just in a different location. She had no outward symptoms. Her pediatrician heard a heart murmur around 15 months old and sent her for an echocardiogram. They found a moderate to large size hole, aprox 10 mm and the right side of her heart was enlarged because it was being overworked bc half the blood it was leaking through the hole. She then saw a pediatric cardiologist every 3 months until she was old enough for surgery. She just got the surgery done 7 weeks ago right before she turned 3 years old. Her hole had tissue on both sides so she was a good candidate for the occular device. So they put it in through a vein in her groin, NO open heart surgery. We were in the hospital for 24 hours and she was back to her normal self within a w eek! She will be on asprin therapy for 6 months and will carry a card around with her explaining about the device she has. She will periodically see the cardiologist too. They did the 1 month follow up last week and the echo showed that the right side of her heart was already back to normal size! I even have pictures of her heart during her surgery, it was awesome! I'm so thankful for that device!