View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #11
mamaspice
Registered Users

Sorry you're feeling down about nursing. That sounds frustrating and I agree that you should make whatever decision you feel is right for your family.

I wonder if a more structured appeoach would work better for you and allow your lo to still get the nourishment of breastmilk. I agree to maybe try night weaning first- Dr. Sears has a helpful article on ways to do that on his site.

Also, you could try only nursing when you believe your lo is truly hungry. What has been working well for us lately is to feed upon waking, then playtime, then when she gets tired I try to soothe her to sleep another way (usually the Beco or the carseat, sometimes just holding snug and walking or bouncing). If she doesn't settle down or is giving obvious hunger signs I go ahead and nurse. We end up nursing every 2.5-3 hrs unless dd is going through a growth spurt or something. I definitely watch for cues; I don't just go by the clock and I think that's important if using a routine like this.

I find that there isn't so much endless sucking when she isn't nursing to sleep and when ahe wakes up she is ready for a nice big meal that will hold her for a while.

Hope you find a solution that works for both of you!
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote