View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #22
shan1212
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone else give up on used diapers???

I don't understand the pricing either. I get that the invisible hand of economics sets prices and all of that, so if I'm not willing to pay the going rate, I just miss out. But for example, I wanted to get some Lil Joeys for my NB stash, and I found them for $19.50/2 pack on clearance, so $9.75 per diaper. Plus I was able to use rewards points and get free shipping and my cost was below $8.50 per diaper. And all I did was google "Lil Joey clearance" to find the sale. Then I see them going on here for $10-$12 used and think, um, OK? I really don't get it when I see someone asking like $13 for a used diaper that's $13.95 new. What is the thinking there? Someone will be happy to save $0.95 to buy a used diaper with no warranty or ability to work with the manufacturer if there's a problem? And we're talking about diapers, which get pooped on. I feel like the knowledge that the item has been pooped on regularly should make the resale value even lower than, say, a piece of furniture or children's clothing.

We just sold our single strollers (a BOB and a Mutsy) to get a new single/double convertible (Mountain Buggy) for baby #2. At first I thought I could get more for the strollers based on how people priced their comparable strollers on CL, but then I noticed that those strollers weren't selling (like who would pay $600 for a $900 stroller that's 5 years old?), and I asked myself what I would be willing to pay for the stroller used. I set the price as such and they sold pretty quickly, even the Mutsy which is kind of an obscure brand. Maybe I could have made $20 or $50 more by waiting but I just wanted those strollers out of my house and to have the cash to help pay the CC bill for the Mountain Buggy. Plus I think that if you overprice, you reduce your pool of potential buyers. Some people may still approach you to negotiate but others will just think, $600, yeah right. I think that's the case when you see women bumping their listings here day after day. If you have to keep bumping it and no one is biting, you didn't price it right.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it doesn't matter what you paid for the items in the first place, or what their suggested retail price is. What matters is what a savvy consumer could get them for new, and how much of a discount they'd require to buy that item used instead.

Diamond jewelry is another hobby of mine, and sometimes I check out the jewelry listings on CL just to amuse myself. You always see people selling things with the explanation that it was appraised for such and such amount. Appraisals are generally about double what you can get a certified diamond for online if you know what you're doing. Even somebody who walks into a mall jewelry store isn't paying the appraised value. So then they make up a figure based on the appraisal and are like, what, no one wants to pay me as much as it would cost for you to get a new one?

Last edited by shan1212; 02-05-2012 at 02:26 PM.
shan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote