View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #21
catilina
Registered Users
seller

Re: WAP, Nourishing Traditions, GAPS Support thread, February 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
Ok, stupid newbie question: What is Ghee and how do you make it (if your way is different from the way NT tells you to do it)? Is it a glorified name for butter? Like Rapadura is a glorified name for unprocessed and raw cane sugar?

I went to look at buying ghee from azure, and a tiny yellow jar of it (7.5 oz) is $12! It seems like every main dish recipe in NT calls for it.
Ghee is a type of clarified butter - but not all clarified butter is ghee! It's clarified butter, taken a step further. In making clarified butter, some of the moisture is cooked off. In making ghee, ALL of the water (and impurities) is removed from the butter, leaving a pure oil. Ghee does not contain ANY milk solids. It has a buttery + nutty (read, yummy!) flavor and is easier to digest than butter, especially for people who have dairy sensitivities.

Ghee is really expensive to buy, but can also be really expensive to make, since you are basically taking high-quality butter (grass-fed ideally) and reducing it... If you are dairy-sensitive, it is definitely worth it. Otherwise, you can likely use butter or coconut oil in most of the recipes if you don't want to spend the money on ghee, and save the ghee for times when the flavor difference will really be noticeable (I make ghee and we like it spread on bread or in Indian cooking, but most of my foods I make with either butter or coconut oil. I save the ghee!).

I usually refer to these two websites when making my ghee:
http://vegeyum.wordpress.com/2007/09/16/ghee/
http://www.aayisrecipes.com/2007/05/...-to-make-ghee/

i'm a bloggin' mama! Your Fire, Your Soul
catilina is offline   Reply With Quote