Old 02-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
mama.mayme
Registered Users
seller

Re: Utah mamas know any good midwives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoopmans View Post
Hi, thank you for replying.

This will be my first home birth and first time with a midwife (though both my other labors were natural because I did my own thing at my home until I was ready and both time just showed up at hospital when I was a 10 and feeling the urge to push, lol). So I dont know much about midwives besides reading Ina May Gaskin and etc - ...but I am the type of person who doesnt like to be really touched or talked to much during labor because I tend to get REALLY quiet and onery when Im in pain and find it easier to be nice when people are there but not all over 'babying' me... if that makes sense. ...I DO know that: I have 'silent labor' and REALLY fast labors (both my others were 30-45 minutes total from knowing Im in labor to baby being born), andI think Id really like to have a water birth.
Well then, you sound just like me, LOL! Silent eary labor, super fast active labor, and wanting to be left entirely alone. Because of that you may want to consider that Heather and Chris may not make it there in time (are you in Logan?) since they both are a good 45-60 minutes away and that's IF they are in Ogden/Layton. They both do a good number of births in SLC too, so if they are in SLC that is even more time to get there. Given your history, I guess you would need to decide how comfortable you are possibly giving birth unassisted with the mw or backup or assistant showing up soon after. For me personally, this is my kind of setup and how I have preferred it. If you are adamant that someone is there then you may want to go with a mw who is closer in distance to you and/or less busy. Let me see if I can look up the info for Anne Pico.

What insurance do you have? Obviously not Select Health, LOL! It *is* possible to have them reimburse some of your midwife cost (I have done it), but if you even mention homebirth they say 'no'. If your insurance does cover homebirth then you will need to find out if they require the midwife be licensed or certified. Both Anne Pico and Heather Johnston are, Chris is not. As far as I know, none will bill insurance for you, but you can very easily submit your own claims, the midwife just needs to provide you with the form.

We really should talk Sounds like we have a lot in common. In fact, I just looked at your ISO list and I might have some CD stuff in the next month you are looking for. I just had my 6th 2 weeks ago (and he was MUCH bigger than my others were) so he is quickly growing out of the xs and nb stuff. Plus, I am selling off all my girly diaper stuff since this one is likely our last baby. Wish I had the doula books you are looking for, but I am ISO them, too Do you know about the different natural birth groups around? There is one that meets at Chris' birth center (they cater more to doulas though), and I believe there is one that meets in Logan or Smithfield too. I'll have to round up all the links for you

Last edited by mama.mayme; 02-06-2012 at 01:29 PM.
mama.mayme is offline   Reply With Quote