View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #26
Registered Users
Re: WAP, Nourishing Traditions, GAPS Support thread, February 2012

Originally Posted by Green Decals View Post
I just did this, as in just today. I set my milk out on Friday (raw, slightly soured milk) so it took 4 days. Finally this morning when we woke up it had separated. Now I have a quart of whey and some delicious strawberry cream cheese (curds, strawberries, maple syrup) and I finally started fermenting my salsa (tomatoes, garlic, onions, cilantro, salt, whey).

Last night I saw some little white pearles in the milk, but didn't think it was quite done yet. This morning it was. We left it covered.
Okay, well I must have done something wrong, because I strained mine yesterday and it smells TERRIBLE. I've never done it before but I just can't imagine it can be right. There's no way I can use it. I almost threw up when I was pouring it. My raw milk was fresh, not sour at all, but I guess I must have waited too long and let it sour too much? Because it smelled SO rancid. I am almost sick in my stomach at the thought of almost a half-gallon of wasted raw milk (and money!)! And I had planned to make ketchup and salsa today (my kids have been begging for ketchup to eat with their scrambled eggs all week!). I guess I need to get myself to the store and pick up some yogurt and just get the whey that way...
mommy to one hilarious preschooler boy (09.06)
and one cuddly toddler girl (05.09)!

i'm a bloggin' mama! Your Fire, Your Soul
catilina is offline   Reply With Quote