Old 02-09-2012, 12:32 AM   #11
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by walking-iris
I have always wanted to homeschool since I was pregnant with my ds (9 years old) and getting a diagnosis of PDD-NOS/OCD-anxiety and sensory issues at 3 just cemented my decision.

He gets plenty of social interaction from friends, cousins, family and community activities and co-op. I know that putting him in a school situation where it is overcrowded and overstimulating (which I know our local school to be) would be too much for him. I truly believe these kiddos deal better with quality friendships and social interactions and not quantity.

I also feel that he can get a top notch education with me providing one on one time and by having the ability to change things that are not working. As his mother/teacher I can change things immediately to help him---no going through an IEP process and having to convince so many different people that he has a unique need that wastes time. It's not working---it's changed. Period.
I could have written this post! I have an almost-7-year-old DD with AS... For a month or so of preschool and a month or so of kindergarten (start of the school year), I tried to integrate her in the public school setting because I felt like I needed a break from her... In the end it backfired because the few hours of being away was met with even MORE difficult behavior when she was home.

After I pulled her out in K, I realized that even though having her home can be difficult, it's what's best for both of us. So we've been happily HSing since... I also HS her 5 year old brother alongside her, while the 3 and almost-2-year-old are playing.

They go to church once a week for a two hour class with other similarly aged children (within 2-3 years of her) and love it. We also get out and do our regular household things (shopping and whatnot) where they interact with people of all ages. All of my older children have great social skills!

We used Sonlight this year and love it, but I ordered Calvert for next year to see if it might save a little bit of time in our day.

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote