View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #11
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Marchkins Chat 2/20-2/26

@ Sara: Love the newborn sleep sack and hat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMandy View Post
My best friend is a midwife and I know that sometimes she doesn't get anything to eat because she's bouncing from one birth to another and doing after care too. I have to say that it would be wise to consider your midwives and have a basket of things out for them. I don't mean to sound abrasive but the lack of a hospitable attitude really shocked me in these posts!!

I know you are the one laboring, but your midwife may have had an exhausting or even emotional day as well.
I recommend having some Clif bars, clementines and other fruits, pb crackers, and such available for them. You don't have to have a full meal for them, but it's good to have something filling and energy-giving available. You could throw in some bags of tea or leave out the coffee pot with a bag of grinds by it so they can get a caffeine boost.

I really encourage you to think of the people at your birth- not that you should serve them, but have things available for them to serve themselves. A hungry midwife is a cranky midwife!!!

Also, yes- people DO need to eat in the middle of the night if they are awake and using energy. If you're sleeping, you don't need a snack or meal because you are resting and your body is fasting!

Again, not trying to be argumentative, it just really stung to read those things. It's really not a huge deal to have some sandwich meat and some cheese in the fridge, and set out a bag of crackers or something. You want your midwives to have energy so they can be clear headed in case of an emergency!

Bah, I'm probably going to get beaten over the head for being argumentative, but I promise, that's not my heart here!
Eh, I don't think your post is argumentative at all. I do think it's odd that the MW would openly suggest that she NEEDS to provide food. I think most of us would be accommodating in providing maybe a platter of fruit, granola bars and muffins or something, but honestly, she is being paid to do a job that runs the risk of odd hours, you would think she'd carry/keep some snacks on her. Particularly with the understanding that we all have different eating/dietary needs/philosophies.