View Single Post
Old 03-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #27
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Re: The PRO's (and con's) of Natural Childbirth

One con I can see is that for a lot of people the natural reaction to pain is to tense up. Which not only can make matters worse painwise, but can actually run counter to the process, making labor take longer. Meds like an epi can help a mama relax so that her body can do what it needs to. If you can accept the pain without tensing up, then the meds may not be necessary for you.

A pro is that an epi can slow or stall labor, which can lead to more interventions. I can't tell you how many times I heard "I was in pain so I got an epidural. Then I wasn't dialating that fast, so they put me on pitocin. Then the baby's heartrate went down for some reason and they HAD to section me." If mama hadn't got the epi, the section might not have happened either, as the labor slowdown was probably because of the epi, and the heartrate problems probably the result of baby not taking pitocin enhanced contractions well. Of course those aren't the only reasons that can happen, but it's a likely turn of events.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote