View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
Registered Users
Re: Dinner question....picky eaters

We've always done a separate meal for DD d/t some early food sensitivities, including dairy, onions, chocolate, and berries. Generally, she gets a protein, a veggie, and a starch...we try to make it food that DD is likely to eat, but not just "kid food." Tonight was a hot dog (leftover from when we all had them on Friday), peas & carrots, a slice of soy cheese, & sauerkraut. I'm finding that now that she's 2, the thing she liked 2 days ago she doesn't like today. So she powered through the hot dog & the "cheese", 1/2 the peas, & pushed the sauerkraut off her plate onto the table. Normally she loves, but not today...but it was only kraut, so not a big loss. But when she does it, say, when her meal is rice & beans (normally a fave where I can sneak in some veggies)...she tells me she's done, I make sure she understands that if she doesn't eat her dinner, there's no fun snack before bed, all she gets is her normal cup of milk, then I let her clear her plate if she wants. And in two hours, when she asks for snack, I remind her about dinner & offer to let her lay w/ me & snuggle on the couch w/ her milk. It usually goes pretty smoothly, except that once, a couple weeks ago, there was a meal that she just did NOT want to eat, & come snack time she was wretched b/c she really was hungry. We caved that night & gave her a peanut-butter sandwich, b/c I really can't bear to send her to bed hungry. Oh, and for her, everything is better w/ ranch dressing...there is very little she won't eat if she has ranch to dip it in.
Carrie. Wifey to F, Mama to Baby Bear, Nugget, and Teeny.
carriek38 is offline   Reply With Quote