Old 03-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #22
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 10 hours of pushing. Yes, I said pushing. Anyone else go long??

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingcropsandbabies View Post
That is a sign of trouble and I'm surprised the midwife didn't make you transport! I pushed for 4-1/2 hours and my baby ended up being a severe shoulder dystocia. He had to get pulled out and needed rescusitated and now suffers a lifelong birth injury that requires surgeries and therapies and splinting, and so on.He has limited range of motion even after 4 years of super hard work. I also had an episiotomy, tore all the way, and broke my tailbone from the force of getting him out.

Prolonged pushing is a red flag. I'm glad you and baby are okay.

I've gone on to have 3 c-sections as my babies just keep getting bigger (my first was also a homebirth).
Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
I am glad to read that both you and baby were fine. Prolonged second stage is associated with adverse maternal and fetal outcomes and you and your baby are absolutely fortunate that a 10 hour second stage with shoulder dystocia did not have any adverse effect.

Honestly, I am truly surprised that your midwife allowed you to continue from home for that long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FernHollow View Post
I am a big advocate of homebirths when done safely and with a properly trained midwife...but I have to agree with this poster. I do understand when on occasion there are variations from the norm when a midwife will make a judgement call within reasonable safety limits, but pushing for 10 hours is really extreme. I have heard of midwives letting a mama push for 4-5 hours if everything is going well, but I am actually quite shocked that she let you push for 10 hours when it sounds like you were quite exhausted.

I know there are some mamas on DS that are very anti-homebirth and anti-midwife and I assure you I am not. In fact I am in the process of getting ready to start training in the next year to become a homebirth midwife. In WA state though, they are required to have a higher level of training than some states and there are strict protocols in place for transfer. Those protocols are there for a reason and I can let you know that even the most laid back midwife I know would have transferred you hours before it sounds like you would have delivered. I am very glad to hear you and your baby ended up not having any issues.

I'd like to suggest that if you have another baby that you consider discussing your birth history with a different midwife rather than going back to the one you had with your first. I'm sure she is a very nice midwife, but that prolonged 2nd stage is really unsafe. Please don't take this as any sort of attack on you at all. I'm so much of a homebirth mama that I've had 2 VBACs at home - but I also had a homebirth turned c/s with my 3rd. Those type of procedures are a good thing when you need them. I'm really glad you were able to safely deliver, but I'm very shocked by your midwife not transferring you if you truly were in 2nd stage for 10 hours.
I agree with all of these posters (except the fact that I have NOT had any home births but I am all for them when done safely). I am so glad that your baby and you were ok after this 10 1/2 hour second stage of labor. I cannot believe your midwife did not transfer you. I agree with the poster that said to discuss your birthing history with a different midwife. I would not go back to a midwife that did not take my safety and the safety of my baby into consideration (which she didn't when she allowed you to push for 10 1/2 hours). Again, I am so glad you and your baby are ok!

ETA: At the hospital where I work, they will typically let you push about 4 hours before getting concerned unless the baby is showing signs of distress. Of course, this varies on the docs and midwifes but is pretty close to the norm.

Last edited by eguisgirl; 03-22-2012 at 09:15 AM.
eguisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote