Thread: P17 Shots?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
newtwinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Lots of work has been done that shows p17 is effective at getting you to term. Unfortunately we don't know if the small increases in miscarriage rate seen in a few studies is caused by the p17 or by the fact that the drug is given to women already at greater risk for miscarriage. Because p17 appears so good at preventing preterm delivery, little incentive exists to study the possibility. I haven't seen any studies directed at determining the risk of loss and a lot of the incidental findings of increased risk of loss weren't strong enough to be labeled "statistically significant" (meaning they may have only been a coincidence).

I started the shots late, as a last ditch effort, when I was admitted for ptl at 25+ weeks. I only got one before I delivered. However, I've looked at a lot of the literature and will be getting them starting at 16ish weeks (when my ptl started last time) with my next kiddo(s).

It's a very personal choice. Like a LOT of medical interventions, we don't know everything about p17. We do know it works very well and appears safe. I guess you have to look at everything we know and decide which way you feel best about-a very hard thing to do! GL!