View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #15
Swimmingly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone ever use a live-in nanny?

I was a live-in nanny one summer during college. It worked out ok for me, but I had some issues like PPs. We did not have anything in writing, and since the live-in thing was new for both of us we didn't really discuss beforehand some things that we should have (many things PPs have already brought up).

We discussed pay and hours before I accepted the job, but then she changed things around after I started (not terrible, but not what I was expecting either).

She told me that I could eat their food, but I still felt awkward about it a lot of the time. And several times she would tell me what to make the child for lunch, but there wasn't enough of it for both the kid and me to eat it... Then I wasn't really sure what to do. I didn't want to eat random stuff out of their fridge because I didn't know if she already had plans for it. Just stuff like that.

Au pairs sound like a great idea, but they are highly regulated (to make sure they don't get into slave labor situations like the PP described), so you might not be able to get enough hours out of them to meet your needs.

Good Luck!