View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #61
holly6737
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: 10 hours of pushing. Yes, I said pushing. Anyone else go long??

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggfan View Post
I am surprised at the people who think 2 hours of pushing is long, or had C sections at that point. My memory from my research before my first birth was that 2-4 hours of pushing was a fairly accepted range in hospitals. I pushed for 1.5 hours with my first and it seemed very normal. FWIW, I pushed for about 5 minutes with my second child and maybe 10-15 minutes with my third, although the really intense pushes were 5 minutes or less.

I am completely speculating but it seems like you had an urge to push way before it was productive. I guess the bigger question is WHY did that happen. Maybe like dry heaves long before you actually vomit.... you only get exhausted from them rather then it accomplishing anything. There are times our bodies work that way - another example, like a runny nose when you have no other cold or allergy symptoms and feel fine.

I mean, now that I think about it, what triggers pushing anyway? We don't really know what triggers the onset of labor - do we know for the pushing phase? Is it pressure on the cervix, is it chemical, is the sensation transferred by certain nerves? Chicken and egg question - does it start with baby's position or something else which then helps you move baby's position? Maybe if you find out more about how normal pushing is triggered and coordinated/conveyed by the body, you can speculate on what might have been different for you.

As for finding a physical therapist, try http://www.apta.org/apta/findapt/ind...ID=10737422525 and check "women's heath" as your specialty area.
The need to push is generated from "Ferguson's reflex" when your baby's head reaches +1 station. This is why you should NOT "trust" the urge to push all of the time. Just because you feel the urge to push, that does not mean you are dilated to 10 cm. You can be 9/+1 or lip/+1. Pushing against an undilated cervix can cause cervical swelling which can then lead to further dystocia for second stage, cervical lacerations, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by champatlife View Post
That's interesting. With my second I had two nurse on top of me pressing above my pelvis. Literally jumping on top of me, and the doctor was yelling for more help, I was in the zone not realizing what was going on until i heard her say, xwe need more nurses" and then i panicked and asked what was wrong and everyone was like "just dont stop pushing" and then my beautiful baby girl made her way into the world,but she didnt cry, and I panicked again until they laid her on my chest. She never did cry until the took her from me 15 mins later.

A pedi came in to asess for broken bones, and she had a lot of bruising on her head, and stork bites but no coning. I was confused at first about why the concerns for broken bones, and my husband was like, you didn't realive two nurses standing on stools practically jumping on top of you? Then I vaguely remembered pain in the area and small flash memories.
It sounds to me like you had a shoulder dystocia. FUNDAL pressure is pressure being applied to the fundus, or the top of your uterus. SUPRAPUBIC pressure is pressure being applied right above your pubic bone. This is helpful when you have a shoulder dystocia. The anterior shoulder gets impacted behind your pubic bone. What they probably did was jack your knees up to your ears (McRoberts) and apply aggressive pressure right above your pubic bone. Those moves together force your pelvis wider while also attempting to force that anterior shoulder underneath the pubic bone. When he assessed for broken bones, he was probably assessing for a broken clavicle (collar bone). This can be a complication of shoulder dystocias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATTYBATSMOM View Post
You may want to read this story: http://doulamomma.wordpress.com/2010...ed-t-cesarean/

She was 10 cm dilated for 20 hours with an intact bag of waters. Even more interesting is how long the placenta took to come out. Her story is especially interesting in that she had had a inverted t incision with her firstborn and she was attempting a VBAC. She was in South Korea (we were there the same time except I chose to return to the US--we were actually due the same day though I never met her, just met her doula) and had both a midwife and an OB who had recently started doing homebirths.
So, wait. She was a HBAC with a T-shaped incision. She pushed for 20 hours. That is the craziest story I have ever heard of. It makes my head explode. She had a partially vertical incision. She was homebirthing. She pushed for 20 hours. Stories like that remind me that God takes care of babies and fools- and in that story, sounds like there were both.

OP, 10 hours of pushing is insane. Your midwife was irresponsible for allowing you to push for that long. You are one very, extremely lucky woman that you did not a) rupture your uterus b) end up with a Bandl's ring c) end up with a rectovaginal fistula from damage to your pelvic floor d) end up with a shoulder dystocia e) end up with a massive, massive postpartum hemorrhage from your atonic uterus. Women in third world countries push for 10 hours. Women in America should never push for 10 hours. For your next birth, I would highly suggest that you birth in a hospital. Do not take this "success" to be proof that you can birth at home without complication. 10 hours of pushing is ALWAYS a complication. I am skeptical of your midwife's assertion that your muscles were spasming. How did she know this to be true? I have never heard of this impinging on pushing efforts. Pushing for 10 hours is not a happy, positive thing. It's a frightening thing. With all due respect, this is something that you should really meditate on and if you decide to homebirth again, I would do it coming to terms with the fact that if you end up pushing for longer than 3 hours with this next baby, that you are okay with an adverse outcome for that pregnancy.