View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #15
gigismomma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Are sonograms really safe??

From my understanding, the sound of the doppler wave is inaudible to the human ear. The concern of safety might be more to do with the heat generated (very small and extremely unlikely to be harmful during a typical ultrasound). While ultrasounds are not proven safe, I don't know if it is even possible to PROVE they are safe (much like it isn't possible to prove gravity). However, they have not been proven to be unsafe, despite decades of use and some women having dozens of them during pregnancy. I have several friends that have an ultrasound at every routine visit without second thought. But I still don't take them lightly......I agree to the standard ultrasounds (early pregnancy and 20 wk anatomy scan), and will agree to more if the situation warrants it (I have had 1-2 additional ultrasounds during my pregnancies.....one because they couldn't find a HB at 12 weeks, one because DD was breech, a very early one to r/o ectopic, one at 13 weeks due to bleeding). I don't feel comfortable going to a "fun" ultrasound place, nor am I comfortable playing with my own doppler machine to check heartrate. 3D/4D itself dooesn't bother me (my OB has one).....the actual u/s technology is the same, the only thing that differs is how the computer processes the images.
So yeah, I don't think anyone can necessarily prove they are safe, but my doctor assures me that there is nothing to worry about. I have researched this a lot, and I am not convinced that my baby would be better off with me declining them. I worry enough about everything else during pregnancy, I don't need to stress out about this, too. Also, I find myself much less stressed after the 20 wk anatomy scan because I have a better idea what to expect (I usually go into those scans fearing something awful, so I find them reassuring. And if something WAS wrong, I want to be prepared). So, there is added mental health benefits for me, too! Generally, the benefits of sonograms far outweigh any small risk. That said, I still don't think they should be used for entertainment purposes alone.

Last edited by gigismomma; 04-07-2012 at 08:53 AM.
gigismomma is offline   Reply With Quote