Thread: scheduling?
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
momma_dna
Registered Users
seller
seller

I apologize in advance for my longgg reply. Im very passionate about BF working mothers.

I went back to work when my DS was 12 weeks also. I was worried about the same thing. IMO and experience you should not put your baby on a schedule. Continue to feed on demand. Don't force a schedule because not only will you stress baby out, but you will stress yourself out and it could result in supply issues as well as low weight gain and development for your baby. Just as every baby is different, so is every mom's BM content. Trust your baby and follow its hunger cues as you are already doing. Your LO will start stretching out feedings eventually. Could take months, but thats okay. My DS is 10 months and still wakes 2-3 times a night to nurse. It's hard but his needs are worth it and I keep reminding myself that he won't be nursing forever.

Also, if you haven't already done so, start introducing the bottle to your baby. Once your LO has mastered it, continue to reinforce this skill by having someone give your baby a bottle a couple times a week.

I recommend finding a caregiver who is willing and receptive to feeding your LO expressed milk. If they arent familiar with BF babies and feeding on demand, you will need to explain to them your LO hunger signs, how to mimic bottle feeding like breastfeeding (look up the SIMPLE method) how to handle and store breast milk. If you can find a caregiver who nursed her own children, even better! My DS refused a bottle so we eventually taught him how to drink from a sippy. Was very stressful until then!

Don't worry too much about pumping now. I pumped once a day starting around four or five weeks old to build up a decent freezer stash prior to returning to work. I was in the Army (out now), so I needed a big supply in case I had to go to training and was going to be away from my DS for a few days. If you don't have to worry about that, then pumping isn't that big of an issue. It us good to practice and figure out if your pump will work for you. Though pumping and building a stash now while your milk supply is still really high could be beneficial if once you return to work you have supply issues. There are lots of things you can do to help this. As long as you are able to pump and/or feed your baby every few hours upon returning to work, your supply will be fine.

Have you looked at the La Leche Leagurwebsite? If not, I highly recommend you browse through it. Lots of good and helpful info. I found a working moms LLL group that met monthly in my area and loved being able to relate and get support from other working moms.

So once again I apologize for such a lengthy reply. Keep doing what you are doing and trust your own instincts

God bless

Sent from my iPhone, which thinks it can read my mind.

Last edited by momma_dna; 04-13-2012 at 02:45 PM.
momma_dna is offline   Reply With Quote