View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
DevotedAuntie
Registered Users

We're pretty non-traditional, but it works for us.

I'd say we are a pretty non traditional family, I've never met anyone with a family quite like ours. Unfortunately that means I also haven't ever met anyone who really "gets" us. My partner and I live with my grandmother and great aunt. My grandma had mild dementia which hadn't progressed much until a head injury in May 2010 which she never really recovered from. My great aunt is developmentally disabled and characteristics of an autistic spectrum disorder and can't take care of herself, so that meant someone else had to be there with both of them.
I have a daughter (adopted from foster care) from a previous relationship who is 25 now. She has PDD, a mild developmental disability, and major issues related to abuse as a child. She ran away and got married, and is now pg and living out of state...we are trying to get her home but she is high functioning enough to legally be allowed to do whatever she wants. That is a whole other story though!
My younger sister lives next door to me with my nephew (7) and niece (4 weeks) My nephew has had many challenges and has been diagnosed with Aspergers. He's a great kid, but he's also a handful! When my nephew was little my sister and I talked about it and she moved next door to me because she can't do it alone, and it was and is in the kids' best interest if she doesn't have to. The way she put it was "aunt, mom, same difference" and that's how I feel as well.
Obviously I'm not their Mother, and my nephew sees that most families don't work like ours but that their aunt takes care of them just like their Mom. We are pretty non-traditional in most ways, but I think that's the main thing that sets us apart from a lot of families. I tend to ramble when I start talking, especially about my babies. Just wondering if maybe there is anyone else out there in a similar family situation.
DevotedAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote