View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
B's Mommy's Avatar
B's Mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: All Fleeced Out
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,472
My Mood:
I Wrote a letter to the hospital administration

requesting to VBAC (they are "banned" there)...let me know what you think of it? Do you think it could be effective? Has anyone ever gotten the hospital to allow them to VBAC without them freaking out? I heard horror stories of hospitals calling CPS and taking the other children away from parents for refusing a c-section, but I know a lot of that is fear mongering and most of it is probably fabricated. The thought does scare me though, because we tend to go against the "all mighty" medical system as it is (don't do baby well visits after the first few months, don't vaccinate, don't do vit. D drops, refuse to give my 1 year old cow milk because I'm *gasp* still breastfeeding, etc.) so I'm sure there would be a lot for them to pick from that makes me an unfit mother. (I'm being sarcastic - I think I'm a pretty good mother myself.) Anyways, the letter.



To whom it concerns:

I am currently pregnant, and I’ve begun to seek prenatal care for my upcoming birth in late November or early December. I had my first daughter at Texas County Memorial hospital by cesarean section in February of 2011. All things considered, my time at TCMH was pleasant, and I was made to feel very comfortable during and after labor. As I understand it, TCMH does not allow VBAC births per hospital policy, but I am requesting an exception to that policy. After reviewing all the medical literature, including the ACOG’s revised guidelines that state,

“Women and their physicians may still make a plan for a TOLAC (trial of labor after cesarean) in situations where there may not be "immediately available" staff to handle emergencies, but it requires a thorough discussion of the local health care system, the available resources, and the potential for incremental risk,”

I have decided that a VBAC is a safer choice for me than scheduling a repeat c-section. I understand the risks of a uterine rupture during a TOLAC are between 0.5% and 0.9% if I am not induced. I also understand the risks associate with a failed TOLAC and the risks associated with an elective c-section.

The ACOG also states that restrictive VBAC policies should not be used to force women to undergo a repeat cesarean delivery against their will. As well as that if a physician is uncomfortable with a patient's desire to undergo VBAC, it is appropriate to refer her to another physician or center. I am asking for the hospital’s blessing to allow me to seek a physician with TCMH who is comfortable with allowing me to VBAC. I am a good candidate for a TOLAC, and I will discuss the matter extensively with my physician who will be able to review my medical records. In the event my situation changes and I am no longer a good candidate for a TOLAC, I will change my plans accordingly.

I am willing to sign a Consent for VBAC form and can even provide one if preferred. I am also willing to sign an Against Medical Advice form or any other forms to legally relinquish the hospital from any legal or financial responsibilities should something go wrong during my TOLAC.

Should I be denied the privilege of VBACing at TCMH, I will be forced to travel over 65 miles for all my prenatal care and while in labor for the right to give birth vaginally, and this is obviously not ideal. I do not feel that it is right for me to lose my rights to a normal birth at a hospital that is easily accessible because of one previous cesarean, when I am fully informed of the risks, especially with the ACOG’s revised guidelines.

Thank you for considering my request, and I look forward to hearing from you and birthing in your hospital this fall. You can contact me at xxx-xxx-xxxx to discuss this matter further.
__________________
[B]
Wife to my best friend & Mommy to three beautiful girls, two with us, and one in heaven.
B's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote