Old 04-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
KatrinaLoves
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: I Wrote a letter to the hospital administration

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
That sounds great! Have you already sent it?

My only concern is that signing something saying that you are going AMA (against medical advice) can open you up to insurance denying to pay for the birth. I'm not 100% positive on that in every situation, but I am 100% positive that checking out of a hospital early, AMA, or an number of other AMA decisions can cause insurance to deny claims. In fact, I know that if you leave a hospital AMA after birth, they can deny paying for the entire birth. So, I wouldn't be willing to sign that unless you clear it with your insurance or unless it is a risk you are willing to take.

I really hope they give you permission. That is just a ridiculous policy.
I'd also omit the AMA reference. By definition, AMA would mean you were going against their policy (which you're seeking to gain an exception for, rather than simply refusing to comply).
Technically, hospital policy or not, you can already refuse a C-section... AMA. If what you want is their blessing and support, stay far far away from saying it's AMA.

Also, I would list the risk of uterine rupture for normal non-VBAC births (as it isn't much lower), and cite sources.

Finally, I would make sure to briefly list some of the verified risks of C-section, which are much more common.

That aside, I think the letter is killer! Go get em!
KatrinaLoves is offline   Reply With Quote