View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #12
B's Mommy's Avatar
B's Mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: All Fleeced Out
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,473
My Mood:
Re: I Wrote a letter to the hospital administration

I'm sending it early on because I want to have good report with the doctor I choose - I am trying to avoid getting settled with a doctor only to have to switch a month or two before delivery. The better I know my doctor, and my doctor knows me, the better my birth will go.

I'll take out the AMA part, because you are right, I'm asking for an exception, so technically that wouldn't be AMA.

Sorry, but other than a couple errors I caught after posting this, I just don't see "several run on sentences and grammar errors". If there are so many, could you please point them out to me so I can fix them before sending my letter?

I revised a few things, so here is the updated letter. Oh, and I do have them addressed personally as printed - this was just my default. I have one to the CEO, and one to the Board of Directors.

To whom it concerns:

I am currently pregnant, and I’ve begun to seek prenatal care for my upcoming birth in late November or early December. I had my first daughter at Texas County Memorial hospital by cesarean section in February of 2011. All things considered, my time at TCMH was pleasant, and I was made to feel very comfortable during and after labor. As I understand it, TCMH does not allow VBAC births per hospital policy, but I am requesting an exception to that policy. After reviewing all the medical literature, including the ACOG’s revised guidelines that state,

“Women and their physicians may still make a plan for a TOLAC (trial of labor after cesarean) in situations where there may not be "immediately available" staff to handle emergencies, but it requires a thorough discussion of the local health care system, the available resources, and the potential for incremental risk,”

I have decided that a VBAC is a safer choice for me than scheduling a repeat c-section. I understand the risks of a uterine rupture during a TOLAC are between 0.5% and 0.9% if I am not induced, which is only slightly higher than women who have never had a cesarean. I also understand the risks associated with a failed TOLAC and the risks associated with an elective c-section.

The ACOG also states that restrictive VBAC policies should not be used to force women to undergo a repeat cesarean delivery against their will. As well as that, if a physician is uncomfortable with a patient's desire to undergo VBAC, it is appropriate to refer her to another physician or center. I am asking for the hospital’s blessing to allow me to seek a physician with TCMH who is comfortable with allowing me to VBAC, and to be allowed the right of a TOLAC at TCMH. I am a good candidate for a TOLAC, and I will discuss the matter extensively with my physician, who will be able to review my medical records. In the event my situation changes and I am no longer a good candidate for a TOLAC, I will change my plans accordingly.

I am willing to sign a Consent for VBAC form and can even provide one if preferred. I am also willing to sign the required forms to legally relinquish the hospital from any legal or financial responsibilities should something go wrong during my TOLAC.

Should I be denied the privilege of VBACing at TCMH, I will be forced to travel over 65 miles for all my prenatal care and while in labor for the right to give birth vaginally, and this is obviously not ideal. I do not feel that it is right for me to lose my rights to a normal birth at a hospital that I felt so comfortable and well taken care of in because of one previous cesarean, when I am fully informed of the risks and especially with the ACOG’s revised guidelines. TCMH gave me an experience that I know can’t be replicated at a larger hospital like those in Springfield. It was a great experience and the whole time I felt like I was receiving personalized, superior care as if I were the only patient in the entire hospital. I felt completely comfortable in TCMH, whereas normally I feel very uncomfortable and rushed in a hospital setting. I don’t want to miss out on this for my next and subsequent children.

Thank you for considering my request, and I look forward to hearing from you and birthing in your hospital this fall. You can contact me at xxx-xxx-xxxx to discuss this matter further.
Wife to my best friend & Mommy to three beautiful girls, two with us, and one in heaven.

Last edited by B's Mommy; 04-21-2012 at 04:43 PM.
B's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote