View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
momgoddess
Registered Users
seller

Re: Lennon Maxine's Birth Story (2 hour labor/waterbirth/rare placenta abnormality)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookedByCarolyn View Post
First off CONGRATULATIONS!

Second, I have CHILLS! My last baby, I was diagnosed with Vasa Previa at my 20 week anatomy scan. They noticed that I had a bi-lobed placenta and that it was low lying, so they did a vaginal ultrasound with the color doppler. That is when they found it. I had monthly ultrasounds the rest of my pregnancy and it never moved. I was put on pelvic rest and told that I would have to have a c-section in order for my baby to survive. I was very sad to not have a vaginal delivery, but I knew it was necessary. They took him at 36 weeks. He was in the NICU for 6 days. They showed me the placenta and cord while they were stitching me up. It was amazing. I was the talk of the maternity ward the whole time I was there. They had never seen one at the hospital be diagnosed in pregnancy. They HAD seen a few, but they were undiagnosed and it was too late by the time they found it. I am so thankful for that color doppler! I know it saved my baby's life as I have always had AROM in my labors. Our babies truly are miracles to this devastating condition!!!
Amazing! It is very, very are that an undiagnosed vasa previa turns out with my outcome. I had a u/s at 20 and 24 weeks where they noted cord insertion being at a different spot than the center of the placenta, but they missed the fact that it was velamentous and a vasa previa! I have photos of my placenta, too. I should maybe add it.