View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
Sageac
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy West Virgina *miff*... slight rant.

So I don't know what to do. I have had two very amazing natural births, one in water at a birth center, and one at home. I live in a state with *horrendous* birth statistics (42% Cesarean rate, almost 0% of birth have "no interventions" and the hospitals have no eating, no children, only 2 family members in the room policies). Also, the OB could/may report me to DHHR for suggesting that I don't want to immunize/ put the silver nitrate in the eyes.

On the flip side, we're on public assistance this time... so I am stuck with the doctors they choose for pre-natal care, or I have to pay out-of-pocket for the full cost of the midwife, which is not in the budget. (Unassisted birth is grounds for removal of children by CPS and incarceration for "practicing medicine without a licence, child endangerment/neglect of medical need.")

So, one way a friend went in this situation is to see the OB for prenatal care, while making a deal with a local CNM to pay her for attending the home birth. The doctors all seemed cool with that and DH says it's important enough to plan to set money aside or even (gasp) use the CC if needed. My stress is coming from the fact that seeing a DR (we usually use natural medicine) means opening ourselves up to judgement and scrutiny of people that could cause us to get into trouble with the authorities... Not that we are doing anything wrong... I am "still" nursing my almost 2 year old... we co-sleep... we don't see "DR" for any reason, and use natural medicine/nutrition to heal most illness. The thing is... where we are, we don't know how they will react and I'm terrified to say anything to them for fear of being reported as a sex abuser (for nursing and co-sleeping) or for "neglecting" my children because they see only a naturopath (un-recognized by my state) one state over.

Yet, to see no-one and have the baby at home leaves us open to the same and or worse consequences if "found out" later...

I don't know what to do. It could be that my pregnant brain is reeling and not in a place to think rationally.

I just want a healthy you know?

Minimal, Communal, Earthy, Crafty Loving mama to C , E : R

Check out my "adorkable"/hippie/recycled goods here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Thistlebuds
Sageac is offline   Reply With Quote