View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #54
gigismomma
Registered Users
seller

Re: s/o College and employment

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
I don't disagree that a college degree can open opportunities. I just disagree with the idea that a degree is the ONLY way to open opportunities. I also think it's a bit overly optimistic to assume that a degree is going avoid the challenges of financially struggling and "moving up."

Neither my mom nor sister have college degrees and they own their own successful cake business.

Ultimately, I do WANT my kids to have college degrees, and I do expect that they will end up getting them. I just am not going to be upset if they don't get one...IF they have plans and goals. I just think that a goal, a plan and ambition are much more important.
I agree with this. I want (and expect) my kids to go to college, but I also know that getting a college degree isn't an instant ticket to success. I have too many friends that floated through college (expensive private colleges) without any goals or ambitions. And now they regret the whole experience because they have huge student loans that will take decades to pay off. They assumed that getting a college degree (especially at a good private school) would just automatically open all sorts of doors and guarantee 'x' amount of income, but that just isn't the case. I will encourage my girls to have goals prior to entering college, but I also understand how hard it is to know at 18 years old what you want to do with your life!
I can only hope that the cost of college doesn't increase at the insane rates they have been increasing. I feel strongly that a college education is very beneficial in many ways (and a great experience in general), so I do want my girls to experience that.
gigismomma is offline   Reply With Quote