View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Epi-pen mamas- opinions please

We just got notice that dd got into the charter art academy we are interested in for kindergarten. We have 2 school options. School 1- the art academy and school 2 our local regular public school. The charter art academy is public not private. Anyway- what would you choose...

School 1 is very small, has several completely peanut/tree nut free rooms- with posters visable to remind all parents. Action plans with pictures get emailed to ALL facality. Action plans are posted in the chid's main classroom as well as all elective class rooms. The school fosters a community feel to their school and get older children (school goes from kindergarten to 8th) in keeping their kids safe. This is made easy by the fact the action plans are posted in elective classrooms so that older kids are able to see the pictures, ect. There is also a fair amount of interaction between grade levels. They currently have several students with multiple and severe food allergies- 1 in which gets his own dedicated equipment (computer, art supplies, etc) that no one else is allowed to use or touch. During the info session the teachers were very open with me and made me feel very confident that they can and will keep dd safe. The problem- no epi pen in the classroom. This is actually done for safety because the kids do not stay in one classroom or with the same teacher all day (they go to music room, art room, etc). if the epi were to be on a teacher it would have to make mulitple tranfers during the day, keeping it in the office allows them to know where it is if it is needed. The school is really small and there is not a lot of distance from the office to any other point in the school. The kidergarten rooms are 10 feet away from the office. oh and this school has been doing full day kindergarten for several years.

School 2- large school. Action plan only given to the nurse, office and the child's teacher. Classes can be peanut/treenut free, but its not posted at the door (i could probably get that done). There is not a lot of communication between teachers. During the info session the teachers were very vague with their answers and I don't really feel to confident in them. They have had other allergy kids who need epi-pens, but didn't sound like it was something they have dealt with a lot (I have a feeling that i am not the only parent choosing alternative options to the local school based on allergies). The coming school year will be their first year doing full day kindergarten. It is also their policy to keep epi-pens in the office however I was told they have in the past and on occasion had them in the classroom. I got the feeling that it would be an ordeal, but I might be able to get the epi in the classroom.

So what appears to be a more experienced, better equip school- but definately no epi in classroom or school with less experience and less people involved in dd's care, but I might be able to get the Epi in the classroom?