View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #41
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Looking 4 Advice on Raising Young Kids from Abusive & Severely Neglectful Backgro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
Hopefully by the time she's a teenager, they will have better ways to treat scars. I'd also take her for a second opinion when you get a chance. Many kids are very thin. I was, my son was for a long time (he's now gained a lot of weight) so to me that is just normal. She'll eat when she wants to but just don't let it be a power struggle and you may just want to leave snacks out she can get to.

Be careful with the sexual stuff. That is where you need a really good therapist.

You'll probably have to wait till open enrollment. That way you will be double insured and may have more access to "better" docs and therapists. You normally need a court order within 30 days (no one tells you this and I learned it via a foster parent who figured it out) or open enrollment. But, if you have a family plan with 4, it may not be any more for 6. The issues you have with the doc's are absolutely insurance related. I've had a lot of families tell me that, which is why now some of the foster families put the kids on their insurance (I would). Most have clauses that allow all kids of kids living in your home. Also, you may have access to better speech and other services (though I am having a terrible time getting our insurance to pay for speech even though they keep approving it so we are private paying).

I would really make a push to get the kids into more services and into a rec department camp or see if they are eligible for head start in the fall (they may have different requirements without regard to income in a situation like yours). The younger you get them help, the better their outcome will be. It is hard with 4 kids to do all that running so you can also try like PP suggested to find people who come in home.
Yea, she's within normal weight range as far as I know - just not how I'm use to seeing kids thanks to the obesity epidemic i guess. She's grown a couple inches since we've had her, but she's lost 3.5 lbs in the last 2 months?! Which puts her .5 lb less than what she was when we got her. Dr. says probably cuz more active with the warmer season and her inconsitent eating habits, she takes a multivitamin gummy everynight so... I guess were alright. She's 36 lbs and 43 inches tall. DD-R is 41 lbs and 41 inches tall. Ashlyn wears a 5 slim drawed up as tight as you can get em and Reese a regular five. lol. I tend to put em in dresses 90% of the time though.

Open enrollment for insurance is in November. Family plan covers an unlimited # of dependents for us... Insurance lady said they just need a copy of our permanent custody papers to add them, didn't have to wait, but DH has to do it. The kids have the 'GOOD' medical card for our state, and it actually covers the same providers & more medications that our private plan tho! But... I assume Dr.'s get paid more through our private insurance.

Ashlyn was in headstart from mid-january til 1st week of May. Her & Reese will be going to preschool starting August 7th, 4 days a week all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyinthesun View Post
Omg, yes! I totally forgot about Head Start! Seriously the best program ever in my opinion!

You having such an open mind to everyone's suggestions shows what a WONDERFUL mother you are. Keep it up, and I truly believe everything will come together.
Thanks - I definitely am trying to keep an open mind, because I am in uncharted territory for my own experiences, even if these weren't 'hurt' children... Jon is a 7 year old boy... I have experience up to 4 years and only with girls! LOL. Sometimes I think I interpret typical boy behavior as troublesome, so I have to ask first, before I condemn it! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingMercy View Post
Have you tried Mederma on the scars? They make a kids version. I burned my forearm pretty badlym on a pizza pan fresh out of the oven and it did wonders in healing it.
Yes, on the ones on her neck that are super visible, they've improved quite a bit in color, but are still like... raised areas. But lightening em up has been a big deal... less stares from ppl in close contact.
Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote