View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #1
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
So, is picky eating genetic?

I have a household of 5, 4 are picky eaters. I'm the only who is not!

I'm rather sad that my dd takes after my husband and her half siblings (I mention the "half" because we are talking genetics, we never talk like that in the home)

Hubby's x wife has 3 sons from before her marriage to DH. They are not picky eaters, in fact, they are foodies and experiment a lot. (All 3 are adults).

My husband read articles long ago that made the assertion that picky eating is genetic and he sticks to that believe and does not worry too much about the kids eating habits. It has to do with the smells of the food and the taste buds apparently. (Sure I can google up the article if I wanted but I'm not in the mood to be scientifically correct now.)

I tried to worry and gave up. There is no way to get children to eat what they simply won't eat.

My DD drinks about a gallon of milk in 2 days. She eats mac and cheese, sometimes. She eats crackers, nutella or honey sandwiches (sometimes) and fruit: apples, raisons, craisins, blueberries, strawberries, peaches, pears and bananas (occationally), watermelon and cantaloupe. She eats raw carrots. I'm happy her range in terms of fruit and veg is wider than any of the others in the house.

DSD - She is only about white carbs and meat. Pizza - cheese topping only. The only fruit/veg she'll eat are raisins or dried blueberries.

DSS - Eats raw carrots and like his sister but won't touch hotdogs or hamburgers (unless I make turkey burgers). He eats apples and bananas, watermelon.

DH - Eats pretty much like his first two children but he will eat vegetables. He never LOVES food. No matter what I cook and how well or how bad, he always rates food as "okay" (and would sometimes add, "even with the vegetables".) He believes food is only fuel anyway. (So, why he doesn't burn better fuel escapes me!)

Of course, if I'll allow it, they'll eat all sorts of chips, muffins, cookies and candy. I don't allow it that much.

Last edited by vatblack; 05-29-2012 at 06:26 AM.
vatblack is offline   Reply With Quote