View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 05:34 AM   #15
bea2269
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981

Actually imo he was grossly overfed. That's a massive amount of milk for a breastfed baby. Especially in the time frame given. The tummy is the size of the child fist. Imagine how grossly stretched it would have to become to accommodate that milk? And if done consistently then, baby 'needs' that amount to be full. Much like overeaters train their stomach to tolerate extreme stretching.

Bottles shouldn't exceed 4 ounces. And I would suggest other means of comforting than just feeding. The bottle force feeds. Literally forcing milk down the throat with each suck. It's important to stop feeding and try other means of soothing. Swaddling, rocking, pacifier, ect. At that rate, your milk supply most likely will not, and can not meet the demand as it is not a normal demand that he would have made at the breast. If you have over supply, you might sustain, but most likely not.

You and your care provider should spend time on kellymom.com to research bottle feeding. Breastfed babies rarely consume 10 ounces in 8-10 HOURS.
I totally agree with this. I don't think he was hungrier that day. I think he wanted more comforting. That's a lot of milk in 3.5 hrs. Definitely check out kellymom. That site has been a lifesaver for me.

ETA: My one year old has 4 4 oz bottles from 7:30 to 5:00, and it has been the same more or less since he began daycare.

Last edited by bea2269; 06-01-2012 at 05:36 AM.
bea2269 is offline   Reply With Quote