View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 07:32 AM   #12
holly6737
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Tell me about delayed cord cutting

In order to really get the benefits of delayed cord clamping, you need the baby to be held BELOW the level of the introitus. So, provider delivers the baby. The baby goes on provider's lap. The baby stays on providers lap for 3-5 minutes or until the cord stops pulsating (it only takes minutes for it to stop- like less than 5 most of the time). This allows the most blood to go to baby. Then the cord is clamped and cut and only then is the baby put on mom's chest.

That said, I've only done that 1 time. Most of the time, I've put the baby on mom's chest (even though this is NOT the best way to do delayed clamping as it delivers LESS blood). We wait 3-5 minutes then we clamp and cut. The benefits of delayed cord clamping are more RBC's. It doesn't continue to deliver oxygen for 5, 10, 15 or 20 minutes after the birth. At this time, the placenta has already detached and is probably sitting at the introitus ready to be delivered. They have not found any differences in oxygen saturations in babies who had delayed clamping and babies who have had immediate clamping, so continued oxygen is NOT a benefit of delayed clamping. Nor have they found statistically significant differences in blood gases, so again, continued oxygen is NOT a benefit of delayed clamping. It's merely about the increased blood volume, and the reason you might want the increased blood volume is because of the increased RBC's. I would look at the academicobgyn.com article that was posted just to learn about the possible benefits. They are small, not dramatic. But it does seem more physiologic, if you value that sort of thing.

Last edited by holly6737; 06-15-2012 at 07:33 AM.
holly6737 is offline   Reply With Quote