lissa~K
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Atheist parents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaci View Post
We're atheists. We live in a part of the country with a lot of hippy liberals so I don't worry much about bullying or anything like that.

It seems like most atheist families are open to their children exploring religion and that's what I'm not sure about. We do a lot of education about various belief systems but we treat them all purely as myth. DH and I are atheist to the core it would be...difficult...if one/both of the kids became religious.
This exactly. I grew up atheist, DH's family are non-churchgoing Christians so neither one of us has much experience other than occasional with church "culture". I actually find religions very interesting and my children enjoy studying them as well, but we believe and teach that it is mythology. Essentially we are raising them with our core values just as any family, and here that just means they will most likely turn out to be atheist liberals. If their beliefs evolved as adults I would try to be as accepting as possible, but It would be difficult for us as well if they turned out to be conservative Christians.

On a side note, my older kids really enjoyed the book "The Magic Of Reality" by Richard Dawkins. It is an awesome science book for kids written by a prominent Atheist author. Just thought I would mention that in a thread of atheist parents.