View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #21
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Re: Protocol with younger siblings and parties

Quote:
Originally Posted by champatlife View Post
Interesting.... I have never been to a party where it was appropriate to just drop off my kid and leave (then again weve only been to one classmates party ) and every single parent was there with their child. I think all our friends at prior duty station would be taken back if parents just left their kids (but oldest birthday girl was 7 that we attended. Argh, something new to think about. I knew the transition happened at some point, but always thought it was around age 9 to go parentless. Not 5.
I would say that in my social circles the transition to drop off starts at kindergarten with some parents starting earlier. I do have vivid memories of a mom dropping her LO off at a play area party and heading to play at the mall. Her LO was 3. Most of us were there with our oldest and that child had 3 older siblings, so now I don't see it as quite so crazy, but at that point we were all buzzing that a mom could do that. But, by right around 5, most of us were doing the drop and run unless we wanted to hang out with friends while the kids play.

By 8 most of the parties are sleep overs and obviously those are drop off as well. The, the parties start to wind down around 10 with the kids having just a couple of close friends to go to a movie or something and spend the night.