View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
m0mof6
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: My 17 month old is not talking.

There's nothing wrong with getting a speech eval if your worried. Most speech pathologists I know would rather get your child in early than waiting if he is behind. My MDD was not talking at 2 and I started the process through the school districts early childhood screening but by the time she started receiving help she was 2 and a half and screaming due to not being understood. She just got out of speech classes a year ago in 2nd grade.

YDS was not talking at 20 months when we started the process (hoping to not have the same problems) and he started speech play group just before he turned 2. He had great receptive skills but few expressive language skills. Now at 2 and a half he is already much further along than his sister was. He has a large vocab that we can usually understand if we know the context as well as many signs to help in communicating.
His younger sister on the other hand is almost 11 months and is already working on some words :lol:
If your LO needs help remember that it is in no way indicative of her intelligence. Both MDD and YDS are very intelligent with MDD reading several grades above her and YDS already can identify 3/4 of the alphabet as well as numbers to 10 and shapes and colors. His teacher wasn't going to assess him on these but was assessing older kids in the playgroup and he wanted his turn too :lol:
m0mof6 is offline   Reply With Quote