View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Any advice for 3 year old on the verge of giving up naps but not quite...

I think the saying is, "one nap is too much but no nap is not enough."

DS has been a very good sleeper and napper since he was about 1. He is 3 1/4 now. He previously would take 2-3 hour afternoon naps and go to bed around 8 pm, get up anywhere between 6 am-7 am. He is usually a pretty cheerful, agreeable boy.

For the past 6 months or so, he has been taking his usual long afternoon naps...but he can't fall asleep at night until 9...or 10...which is just too late to me.

I've tried several times to shorten the nap to 60 min, 90 min, or 2 hours, but he just ends up cranky from being woken up and still stays up late. I don't think he is just being difficult about going to bed at night, I really think he just isn't tired on the days he gets the nap.

I've also tried giving up the nap altogether, and it will be okay for a day or two, but he will eventually turn into one hot mess of a tired 3 year old. He will fall asleep closer to 8 pm at night, but is awake around 6 am which isn't quite enough sleep.

Any advice for this stage? Am I being silly to not like him up until 9:30 or 10 pm? Just wondering what other mamas have done at this transition point.
and M

Last edited by alaskamum; 06-21-2012 at 01:47 PM.
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote