View Single Post
Old 06-25-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
kristenjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
know anything about farming large # of acres for profit?

It appears my husband has become interested in making a move for our family. A BIG one. We currently live on 20 acres of land in the Central Texas area. He cuts and bales hay for other people in the summer and the rest of the time (and year round, he has 5-7 employees) he also owns lots of heavy equipment to clear cedar, build stocktanks, make ranch roads, etc. We make a good amount of money, but the overhead expense is frustrating, to say the least! I guess he has always been intrigued with the idea of farming a large piece of land for crops like cotton, corn, etc. We travel up to the panhandle of Texas every few years to visit some family in the area. One of them even did that type of farming, probably over 20-30 years ago. I'm just curious if anyone here has any experience in farming this sort of land he is interested in doing. We are looking at staying in Texas and probably the panhandle area then. 600-1000 acres probably. I think my main concerns are if we end up living on part of the land we harvest, I'm just not sure I would want to be exposed to all the herbicides and pesticides. I'd love to do organic farming, but I have no idea how hard that would be to get into, if it is worth it, etc. I'm also really curious how much profit we would be able to make at doing this. Would it be enough to live off of comfortably and be able to save some back? I'm planning on homeschooling our boys, so that wouldn't be much of a concern. I imagine every other change could work itself out. Anyway, if anyone has any help or ideas for me, I'd love to hear them, thanks!