View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
znzsmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
My Successful VBAC on Sunday!

My history: 2 easy births with my daughters. Water breaking to birth was under 1 hour. My son was another story. Everything was going well, but then both of our blood pressure dropped, he wasn't descending into the birth canal and we had to have an emergency c-section. The cord was around his neck 3 times. Pregnant w/ my 2nd son. Same Dr. for all 4 births. Knowing my history she cheered me on for a VBAC. She gave me a list of the +/-'s for both VBAC & RC and stressed the benefits of a VBAC. As the pregnancy went on I had false labor and then for 2 weeks nothing happened. At my last appointment, the baby was higher than he'd been the week before and I had made no progress whatsoever! My due date was a few days away and she gave me 2 options: wait to go into labor on my own or be induced on Sunday when the hospital was relatively empty and my care would be the #1 priority. She has one of the highest rates of VBAC births in our state and the birthing center has great rates as well. She said in her experience she could use up to 29 ml of pitocin to induce and I could still have a successful VBAC. DH & I discussed and weighed the options. We decided to try the induction on Sunday and trust that we were making the best decision we could. I was called at 1:30 am sunday morning and we headed right to the hospital. It took us about an hour to get there. By 3 am they had the pitocin drip going at 1 ml/hr. I had already had a few contractions so that just helped to get them more regular. By 5 am I had an epidural. They upped the pit to 3 and the contractions got a little stronger but I was not making much progress. At 10 am my dr came in & broke my water and jiggled the little guy around to prevent cord prolapse and help him make his way down into the birth canal. Over the next hour I made a little progress, but nothing happened. By 11:30 she had them up the pit to 6. She left and said to give her a call when I started feeling pressure. I called the nurse in after 1/2 hour and had progressed from a 4 to a 6. The next 1/2 hour I was an 8 and she called the Dr. When she arrived 15 minutes later, I was complete. With the first push his head and one shoulder came out and with the second, we had completed a successful VBAC. I tore slightly but other than that, everything was wonderful! We were released to go home the next day and 4 days later I feel great and my little man is doing awesome!

I know reading all the successful stories shared on this board helped me to know I could have a VBAC and I wanted to share my story as well. I pray each of you have the births of your dreams and that you are able to find Drs that will work with you and help you achieve that goal!
znzsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote