Jenette
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NappyChappy
My hand
15-20 minutes
She is thin I can feel her backbone and her hips and pin bones stick out.
I feed her 2c. grain, free choice clover hay, minerals, baking soda , and pasture
I haven't wormed her yet...her fecal was clean 4 weeks ago and she's been her 2 weeks. So I plan on fecal testing her soon.
I message the udders but I did bump her udder in the back today and I got a second let down.
The move away from her home herd and 'losing her 4 + 1adopted kid' was very stressful for her. They weren't weaned so I just ripped them off her
I milk once a day in the evening between 6-7:30pm everyday.
Her teats do seem small....so I hold them like a pencil and let the milk flow in then trap it with my pointer finger and thumb and squeeze it down with my middle finger. Her orface seems to be a good size since I do get some good squirts. I still have to catch her and pick her up and put her on stand. She won't get up on her own...idk even when I lure her with grain. And she is really put out with me after milking she jumps down quickly and runs off. But she is still aftER i catch her and start milking.
I am hoping after this next freshening she will be better. I am going to breed her to a really good milking stock and hope to keep a doeling.
I don't have direct experience, my friend is in her 3rd year of having a goat milking heard plus helping on a goat ranch. She said that she gets better milkings in the am and the most milk when milked 2x per day about 12 hours apart if the kids are not nursing. If you keep kids she says after a few days separate from the mother at night and milk the mother in the am. Let them spend all day together.