View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can spanking cause mental illness

The term used is link. That is not cause. It just means that the incidence of physical punishment is higher in populations of mentally ill. I want to know whether physical punishment (as defined, which was ridiculously broad IMO) is a result of these disorders or somehow part of the cause. I know that many children who are predisposed to mental illness often suffer from behavioral disorders. The more intense the behavior issue, the more likely parents are to fall into physical punishment (particularly off the cuff, reflex type punishments) than parents of your NT kid is.

It's like saying that ADHD is caused by video game usage. Well, no. It's caused by brain function differences and this brain difference causes the ADHD brain to seek out seriously stimulating things like video games to enhance the feeling of concentration.

ETA: I'm with dancermommy1 in being interested in the actual study. There's a lot of spin in the article all the way down to the reference to the lead author of it. Most honest to goodness studies don't end with such conclusive statements:

Quote:
The new study's lead author, Tracie Afifi, said she believes that physical punishment should not be used on children of any age and that positive parenting strategies should instead be encouraged.
They tend to use words like "link" or "correlation" and then recommend furthur study unless they can back up their statements with seriously solid numbers-which aren't referenced anywhere in the article.

Last edited by mcpforever; 07-02-2012 at 02:57 PM.
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote