Jen's_4
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Can spanking cause mental illness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Tie Dyes View Post
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/02/health...html?hpt=hp_t2

Interesting article discussing studies about whether spanking in the absence of abuse may cause mental illnesses.

"Researchers from Canada found that physical punishment (such as slapping, hitting, pushing and shoving) -- even without child neglect or physical, sexual or emotional abuse -- was linked to mood disorders, anxiety disorders, substance abuse and personality disorders."

What do you think?
First, I didn't read the article. Second, my short answer would be yes, spanking can cause mental illness. But that alone is very misleading. Withholding food, or forcing your kid to eat their food can also cause long term mental issues. Many things can. Also, slapping, pushing and shoving are not the same as spanking. You can call spanking hitting if you like, but the others are not spanking. I don't think it's possible to have those things without physical and emotional abuse. I also think that just spanking (leaving out the shoving and whatnot) is capable of causeing mental abuse--depending on how it is done. We make it a point to never spank in anger. I think that is generally abusive as well. But just spanking as *I* personally believe it is intended to be, I don't think causes any mental issues, and actually may save the kids from some. I also see this thread getting pretty ugly pretty fast, and I'm already dreading it.
Jen's_4 is offline   Reply With Quote