ammcmaho
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nanny Hiring help

I had a really long response here!

Okay first:
Know what hours you need and the pay. We went the au pair route when we had #2 because the cost was better AND i was sick of nannies wanting either more/more consistent hours (i work early mornings and sometimes needed someone at 7 am, many didn't like that)/more pay

Ask:
Experience
Discipline philosophy (ask specifics on how they'd handle a situation. know your philosophy. require they follow yours so it is consistent)
Reasons they would turn down an offer from a family (this will tell you about their needs and if they wouldn't ever, I'd question that too!)

Contract:
Include:
Dates of start and end
# of vacation days allowed and when she can use them/notification policy
Sick day policy (is she paid these and how many per year (are they earned after 90 days for example) and how many hours in advance you need to know
Petty cash (i prefer to reimburse them and only for approved expenses, ie, 1 chick fil a per month)
Play date policy

We host au pairs because for us it is easier, more flexible, and cost effective. We have what is called a "family handbook" and it spells out a lot of what we're looking for and what we need and what is required to be a "paid" family member, so to speak. Most agencies work with you on this, which is another benefit of having an au pair, IMO
Paying for two in child care? An au pair may be cheaper! Great for families who need flexibility!
ammcmaho is offline   Reply With Quote