View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #11
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Any mamas here cook everything from scratch?

You have gotten really good advice already.

I do a large quantity of beans as well and then freeze cooked in freezable Kerr or Ball canning jars that are the same size as a can of purchased beans. I reuse the lids because I am not canning in them for sealing purposes. I do a crockpot full at a time of black, then pinto, then do refried, etc, and just keep cycling thru them in my freezer and making more as needed.

Rice, I do as PP said and make a few dry cups on the weekend and use during the week. I meal plan around my CSA box that I get on Tuesdays and do try to do some sort of a starch (small amount) with each meal so we probably do rice a few times a week.

I make macaroni and cheese from scratch, it's really easy. If that is something you eat a lot I will give you the recipe.

My husband became fond of some crappy boxed meals in college and I try to mimic it somewhat with fresh ingredients. I have figured out creamy broccoli version of tuna helper, a couple of the hamburger helpers, and one chicken thing.

Making cream of whatever soup from scratch is super easy too, and as long as you always have milk, flour, and butter on hand with the mushrooms, celery, whatever, it's quite simple and eliminates most of the salt and other stuff in the cans. Tastes so much better.

I am not currently making my own bread just because I fell in love with a farmer's market vendor and it's summer so I don't want to bake in the oven. I do make muffins (generally poppy, sometimes banana) and freeze most of the batch. They heat really well.

What types of things do you like to eat? There many easily modified simple versions of processed foods that I am sure we could help you break down.
Hungry Caterpillar is online now   Reply With Quote