View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #22
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any mamas here cook everything from scratch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflyingbuttress View Post
These suggestions are great and so encouraging. I really appreciate all the thoughtful responses. They reminded me that I do indeed already know how to do a lot of this. I actually already do a lot of cooking from scratch, or have over the years. I guess just the difference is that I only ever did one or two meals a week instead of most of my main staples and freezing things.

I do eat a lot of whole foods already, so I am not worried about my palette adjusting. I prefer the flavors of whole foods. They seem gourmet to me, while processed stuff seems like junk.

I don't know why but whenever I start thinking about this I always get so overwhelmed with all the things I want to make. But you are all right. I need to start with just a few things and go from there. I am a SAHM so I have been looking for things to do during the day to keep me occupied. I am looking forward to it!

Thanks so much for all the tips!
It took me awhile (someone on here gave me the idea last summer, but I didn't get around to actually succeeding with it until the spring when a close friend encouraged me to do it) but I found it really helpful to start doing some actual meal planning.

Also, I wrote out a long list of things we like to eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks and posted in the kitchen so we refer to it once in awhile if we run out of ideas or have nothing on the meal plan and can't think of what to make.

For the meal plans, I got sidetracked the past few weeks for various reasons, but before we would go grocery shopping, I started writing a list of things to make for dinner for the next 7 days and try to base some of it on things we already have available in the kitchen so stuff doesn't get wasted, and that way we also are a bit better about not getting groceries on a whim, but instead just get things we actually need. It was working pretty well. I also try to do a vegetable with every dinner. Going to start up the meal planning again right now

It was also fun to exchange meal plans with my friend and we got some fun ideas from each other that way too.

Processed stuff seems like junk to me now too.

Hope this helps
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote