View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Hi-Dog
Registered Users
seller
seller

The Best of Both Worlds: At Peace with Formula Feeding

A quick background on me. DD is now 13 weeks old. I have had major issues with breastfeeding from the beginning. Between horrible pain and very low supply, I have trucked on through. We have had to supplement with formula since about two weeks due to failure to thrive. I have done everything to try and increase my supply, but I have come to terms with the fact that I need to formula feed for my baby's health and for my own sanity. I still pump and nurse when I can, but at this point it's more like I am supplementing her formula diet with breast milk! I guess I just keep holding out hope that suddenly the domperidone or goat's rue will magically work and I will gush fountains of milk.

I don't know how many other mamas both formula feed and breast feed, but I feel like I am in two worlds of feeding. I can't EBF, but I don't EFF. I have resented the bottle for months now and been angry at formula for it's ability to be mixed up ready to go in seconds when I can only pump 1 oz per 15 minute session.

This morning, as I was feeding my baby girl her bottle after she nursed all she could, I realized that I can no longer waste precious time and energy being angry over something I have no control over. I need to embrace every moment with my little girl and we can be close and bond, even over a bottle.

This is just a huge step for me. I just thought I would share, as I am guessing there are other mamas out there who have been through similar dilemmas or are maybe going through the same thing.

To all mamas who are doing the best they can no matter how they feed their little ones!!

UPDATE:
My baby girl is very healthy and nearing her 1 year birthday in April. She has met or exceeded all developmental milestones (except her teeth are taking forever to come in, LOL!). We are fully on formula and I have become even more at peace with the way I feed my baby, we have done baby led weaning when it comes to food and she eats everything and does amazingly. She's smart, sweet and a lovely girl. I have the privilege of being a SAHM and though she has her moments of independent play, we have this amazing bond. When she looks at me and says "Ma!", I don't sit and ponder whether my inability to breastfeed had some sort of hinderance in our relationship or her development. Rather, I feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I grew this amazing life inside me and have done everything in my power to nurture her and teach her in only the way a mother can.

Last edited by Hi-Dog; 03-01-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Hi-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote