View Single Post
Old 07-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #23
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any mamas here cook everything from scratch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfuzzy2 View Post
Sorry for hijacking but would love it if you could share your Spanish rice and rice pilaf recipes
Sorry I haven't checked this for a couple of days.

Spanish (actually Mexican) Rice http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe?id=13291342 I use frozen peas and carrots instead of canned- ends up having way more in there. And I have never done it with the chicken legs. Just made the rice. This makes quite a bit.

the rice pilaf- sort of- it came from Fix, Freeze & Feast. This is the whole recipe but I halve it because my big stock pot isn't big enough. Whole recipe makes 4 side dishes of 4-6 servings so 16-24 side dish servings (very healthy side dish servings)
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp butter
6 cups rice, uncooked
12 cups water
2 cups chopped carrots (about 4 med)
1 cup chopped onion (1 med)
1 cup chopped celery (about 4 stalks)
8 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules (or you can sub the granules and water for homemade broth)
4 teaspoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon back pepper

Heat oil and butter in large stock pot. Add rice, carrots, celery and onion. Cooking and stirring until rice is golden brown. Add in seasonings. Add water (or broth if that is what your using). bring to boil. reduce heat cover and cook for 20 mins (or whatever your rice recommends for cooking time- i use one that needs more like 35 mins) or until water is completely absorbed. Cool enough to handle then you can place in containers and freeze.

You can brown the rice let it cool slightly, add seasonings and separate into 4 containers and freeze like that. Then it would 4 meals worth. Then you pull out frozen rice put in pan and use 3 cups water or broth per container.