View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
petuniajo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Please share your 1 all time hands down favorite thriftyish meal

I changed my mind, lol! Curried lentil soup is my favorite lentil dish (and is super thrifty). Though tasty lentil tacos are a close second--check it out on allrecipes.

Curried Lentil Soup
2T Olive Oil
1 Large yellow onion, chopped
Baking potatoes, peeled and chopped (I use about 2 small potatoes)
Carrots, peeled and chopped (however much you like)
1 bag frozen, cut spinach
2T curry powder
40-50 ounces of veggie or chicken stock
2 cups red lentils, rinsed and drained

Heat oil in a heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, potato, and carrot and saute until veggies begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Mix in curry powder and stir until fragrant--about 30 seconds.

Cover pot, reduce heat to med-low and simmer until lentils are *almost* done (I check after about 20 minutes, but which time they are usually pretty soft, which I don't mind). Add spinach and cook until lentils are done (I did about another 5-10 minutes).

Tamale Pie

Ingredients
• 1 lb ground meat (Turkey or ground beef)
• 1 medium onion, diced
• 2 cloves garlic finely minced
• 1 green bell pepper, diced
• 1 can diced tomato with green chiles (like Rotel)
• 1 can whole kernel corn, drained (I usually use a package of frozen, or I buy ears of corn on sale and cut of the corn and freeze them, and use that)
• 2 cans beans of choice, drained and rinsed (I think kidney and/or pinto work well)
• 1 package taco seasoning (or you can of course use your own—lots of recipes online)
• 1 tsp chili powder
• 1c shredded cheese

For Topping
• 2 boxes of corn bread mix prepared according to box (the small boxes—I think the name is Jiffy? They are 8ish ounces each and cost like 40 cents)

Directions
• Combine meat, onion, bell pepper, and garlic in pan to cook completely. Drain off any fat that might have come from your mixture then add the taco seasoning and chili powder
• In A large bowl, pour your meat mix and add can of tomato, corn, beans, and mix to combine.
• Pour into a large casserole or a 9X13 pan
• Top with 1c shredded cheese
• Pour your cornbread mix over top so it starts to seep into the mixture.
• Cook according to directions in your oven of the cornbread mix.