View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 06:33 AM   #1
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Talk to me about cartoons...

We're pretty much a zero-tv family during the day when DS is awake, especially have been up to this point... but he's two now, and I don't see the harm in some cartoons here and there. Especially when I need to get something done

Plus, there's something nostalgic for me about cartoons on a Saturday morning, and I'd also like to be able to snuggle in for an occasional movie with DS.

BUT. We don't have cable and we do not have netflix or internet tv or any of that. SO, we've been restricted to "Martha Speaks" and "Curious George" which are fine, but they really don't capture DS's interest at age two. Curious George does for a little bit, but not very long.

My questions are... What cartoons do your 2-3 year olds love? What cartoons do YOU love (haha)? Did you encourage specific cartoons? If you don't have cable, do you get your cartoons/movies on dvd instead? When did your little ones get to where they could watch an animated movie?

So far, we have the following either on itunes (so we can watch when travelling on the plane) or on dvd: A whole season of YoGabbaGabba, which DS likes to watch here and there; a dvd of classic Mickey Mouse "small world" episodes; a DVD of Mickey Mouse clubhouse Halloween theme (I love halloween & want him to figure out what it is before October, haha); and the "Elmo's Potty Time" sesame street dvd. MIL gave me a couple others, but I can't think what they are--I think one is bob the builder and not sure about the other.

My delimna is I'm a HUGE Scooby Doo fan, and I would LOVE to get DS interested in Scooby Doo because I could literally watch it all day long. Only the original series, though, from the 70s, not the ones with "scrappy" in them from the late 80s. I'm thinking about buying a 4 dvd box set with the entire first two seasons. When would he be old enough to get into those, you think?

Also... any recommendations of an animal planet dvd for kids (or itunes download)? He loves to watch animals on tv, but we don't have animal planet and while we do have the "Planet Earth" series on DVD, frankly he just can't pay attention to the voice over and the pan outs of the environment. He just wants to see monkeys.

Thanks! I am really looking forward to when we can snuggle up and watch the first Harry Potter (my all time favorite HP movie), Scooby, Charlie Brown "great pumpkin", and other classics like that... :-)

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote