View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #51
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama

I think you'll find that most people who use CIO are NOT leaving their child for hours and hours to scream. If your children would do that then yes, CIO would not work for them.

It did work for my oldest. I tried rocking, walking, bottles, music etc, nothing worked on its own. Finally out of desparation one night I put her in her bed, turned on her music maker on a timer for 15 minutes and walked out of the room. She cried for a few minutes, fussed sleepily for a few more, and was out before the music shut off. Every night and every nap thereafter I put her down awake, turned on her music and walked out of the room. If she was overtired, she'd fuss for a few minutes and then go to sleep, but many times we didn't even get that. Before putting her down I'd make sure her other needs were met, dry bum, full belly, dressed appropriately for the room temp, had plenty of cuddle time. If the crying was escalating, I'd go get her and see if I could figure out why. If she was still crying at the end of 15 minutes, I'd go get her, something more was wrong than just "I don't want to sleep!" But in almost all cases, she'd fuss for about 5 minutes tops and be out.
Yep that's what we did for DS1 when he was about 10 months old. If need be we'll do it with DS2.