View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #24
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: considering IUD - opinions?

I have had the paraguard (copper) in place since 6 mos PP, so just about one year. Before DD I used various bc pills and then the nuvaring for years.
Pros:
-I love not having to do anything. Even remembering to insert and then take out the ring once a month was too tough for me, lol. Given the speed at which DD was conceived, I am shocked that we never had an oops pg in 10 years of me forgetting pills.
-I love that it's hormone-free. The main reason was at 6 mos we were still going strong with BF, and I didn't want bc pills to interfere. AF DID come back maybe 2 mos after insertion, but that certainly could have been coincidence, and we continued to ebf for another 6 mos after that (then slowly weaned).
-I love that DH can't feel it. The ring was sometimes... uncomfortable.
-DH loves that I no longer feel the need to store my BC in the fridge
-I use a cup now, and the nuvaring would definitely interfere with the cup. I can't picture trying to juggle both in a bathroom stall in the office!
Cons:
-AF is appearing on a much more "natural" cycle... I used to be able to predict within 6 hours, now it's "plus or minus 3-4 days."
-Ummm, that's pretty much it.

Here's the thing: Yes, AF is definitely different (flow is different, overall pattern, PMS symptoms...) but, bc she did not reappear until AFTER the paraguard was inserted, I truly don't know if the differences are IUD-related or PP-related. KWIM?
Insertion was not the most fun thing ever but nothing compared to natural childbirth. I had horrendous cramps for several hours afterwards and DH had to come home to take care of DD bc I was afraid I would drop her. After that... no problems.
As far as the copper, the Paraguard (not sure if it's ALL copper IUD's) is only good for 5 years. In five years or sooner, we will either be ready for #2, or decide that #2 is not in the cards and we'll get it removed, and DH will go in for a snippety-snip. So we're not planning on a long time.
DottieHarley is offline   Reply With Quote